LUGANSK
TRAMWAY NETWORK

Photo Gallery 2

Suburban Tramway Lines



Malaya Vergunka Line
Line 3.
A line to the tramway depot and the village-like neighborhood of Malaya Vergunka [map]. In 2014 the short Line 3 operated in a shuttle mode every 30 min. utilizing a cycled timetable, with same departure times every half hour. Tracks are on a mixed traffic right-of-way within the urban segment via Frunze Ul., while the suburban Leningradskaya Ul. is a tramway-only street through a village-like neighborhood. There were plans to extend the line to Velikaya Vergunka. A set of tramway tracks is imbedded into the bridge over the Lugan’ River just beyond the current terminal.


Former Belomorskaya Ulitsa Line
Formerly served by Line 3A.
A line to the eastern entrance of the “Luganskteplovoz” (the Railroad Locomotive) factory [map], city’s principal employer. The line included a single access track to the factory, used to pull out newly manufactured LT-5 and LT-10 trams for testing on the city network. The line opened in 1990. It was served by the Line 3A operating with a single car in a shuttle mode between factory’s main and eastern entrances during rush hours only. The revenue service ended in 1994. A second loop, facing the factory, was then constructed at the southern tip of the line, so the line could be used for testing of new trams. Tram’s production at the factory ceased in 2004. The line fell into disrepair and was finally dismantled in 12.2013. The line was entirely on a reservation.


Kvartal Dzerzhinskogo Line
Lines 2, 8, 11 (formerly 9, 15).
The main tramway corridor through a massive development of apartment blocks in the east of the city [map]. In 2014 the line was served with 2-3 trams operating every 25-50 min. on the Line 2, and 2 trams operating on the Lines 8 and 11 during rush hours only on the 67 and 94 min. intervals respectively. The western segment of the line through private housing sector is on a reservation. The eastern segment through apartment block development is on a mixed traffic right-of-way. The short turn Mikrorayon Druzhba loop is abandoned.


Oblastnaya Bolnitsa Line
Line 6 (formerly 12).
A suburban line to Oblastnaya Bolnitsa (the Regional Hospital) [map]. The first version of the line opened 06.11.1937 as far as Ostraya Mogila, with trams partly utilizing a railroad line. A dedicated tramway track was laid in 1938. The line closed in 1942 during the German occupation, and was not reopened immediately after the war. The new line to Ostraya Mogila was opened on 17.10.1963, and later extended to Medgorodok (nowadays Oblastnaya Bolnitsa) on 15.11.1967. The line benefits from being a direct extension of the main north – south tramway corridor via Oboronnaya Ul., and is serviced with the Line 6 operating every 8-16 min. This is the only segment of the system with trams still maintaining dominance over other modes of transportation. The line is almost entirely on a reserved siding. The short turn Ostraya Mogila loop is dismantled. Preliminary work was completed in the early 1990s on the line’s extension in the direction of the airport, to the development of summerhouses Vidniy, however, this project was never realized.


7-ya Liniya and Railroad Overpass
Lines 7, 11, 13 (formerly 14, 15)
The central tramway network opened on 03.05.1934. The second independent network in the Kammeniy Brod area in the north of the city opened on 01.05.1935. The two separate networks were connected in 06.11.1965 only with the construction of the Railroad Overpass on 7-ya Liniya Ulitsa [map]. The overpass and the tramway tracks were completely overhauled in 2008-2009. The tracks are on a mixed traffic right-of-way.


Tekhnikum Transportnogo Stroitelstva Line
Lines 11, 13 (formerly 4)
Formerly important line to the former Main Railroad Station complex [map] was opened as a part of the independent Kammeniy Brod tramway network in the north of the city on 01.05.1935. It was connected to the main network on 06.11.1965. The new Main Railroad Station complex was built in 1980 on the other side of the railroad tracks from the old one, rendering the tramway line somewhat irrelevant. Trams are still accessible from the Station via a pedestrian overpass. The Depot 2 located at the terminal operated between 1935-1968, later used as a storage / maintenance facility only. The depot building is now abandoned. Nevertheless, curious trackwork still exists next to the depot. The local Kammeniy Brod-only service, the Line 4, was suspended on 16.02.2008. In 2014 this extension was mainly served by the Line 13, operating with 2 cars every 32 min; the Line 11 also operated during rush hours only, with one car running every 94 min. The entire line is on a mixed traffic right-of-way.


Park im. Gorkogo Line
Line 7.
This short line [map] opened on 18.03.1936 as a part of the independent Kammeniy Brod tramway network. It was connected to the main network on 06.11.1965. In 2014 the Line 7 was served with 1 car operating every 44 min. The line mostly follows a narrow reserved siding. Discharging passengers onto the northern side of the trackbed (outbound trams) calls for automotive traffic in both directions to stop and yield. A small outer segment of the line is on a mixed traffic right-of-way.


Pl. Lenina Line
Formerly served by Lines 4, 14, 15
A long line to a vast private housing residential area [map] opened on 01.05.1935 as a part of the independent tramway network in the north of the city. It was connected to the main network on 06.11.1965. The line ends with a sizeable one-way loop around Lenina Ploschad (Lenin Square) on the northern side of the “Luganskteplovoz” factory, amid quaint village-like setting. This area is a focal point of the old Kammeniy Brod neighborhood, which was an autonomous municipality until 1882. The service via the line was being gradually reduced through the 2000s. The local Kammeniy Brod-only service, the Line 4, was suspended on 16.02.2008. The remaining Line 15 was “temporarily” suspended on 06.10.2011. Prior to the suspension the Line 15 was operated with a single car running approximately every 90 minutes. The officially cited reasons for the suspension were shortage of rolling stock and drainage work to be done alongside the tracks. The line was also a burden considering the length of the infrastructure in relation to a low ridership due to service reductions. It is believed that the suspension will become a permanent closure. As of 2014 some sections of the infrastructure were dismantled to make way for drainage construction, as well as for “safe storage” following some episodes of theft of pieces of the infrastructure. The line is mostly on a mixed traffic right-of-way, with the one-way Lenina Pl. loop on a reserved siding.


Tramway Depot
Lugansk operated 8 LT-10 trams locally built at the “Luganskteplovoz” factory in 1994-1998. Lugansk was one of three cities to operate these trams, alongside Moscow and Yenakievo. Problematic and inefficient, LT-10 trams ceased to operate in the early 2000s. All but 1 car were scrapped between 2000-2009. Car 207 was rehabbed. It operated in service in the spring and summer of 2007, only to be sidelined again. As of 2014 car 207 is permanently stored at the depot. It is one of only two such trams in existence (the other one is in Moscow). The car receives fresh paint regularly. A single 1993-built KTM-8 car was delivered second-hand from Dnepropetrovsk in 2004. It operated in service until 2008, scrapped in 2012. 5 Ukrainian-built Tatra-T6B5-based K-1 trams were delivered in 2004. As of 2014 this was the last acquisition of new trams in Lugansk. One of the depot sheds burned down in 2008, along with the then-relatively new K-1 car 304. The empty shell of the shed is nevertheless used for some maintenance work.


"Luganskteplovoz" Factory
The “Luganskteplovoz” factory’s tram manufacturing aspirations yielded 14 LT-10 trams built in 1993-1998 (8 for Lugansk; 5 for Yenakievo; 1 for Moscow) and 6 LT-5 trams built in 2003 (all for Moscow). LT-10 trams were heavy, poorly designed and difficult to maintain. The state-sponsored project suffered from expensive and inefficient design excesses meant to adsorb as much state funding as possible. Production of much sleeker LT-5 trams suffered from market limitations at the time. A single LT-10A prototype tram constructed in 1995 became the first low floor car built in the CIS. Mass production of low floor trams was never launched, and the only tram remained at the factory. A few additional bodies of LT-10 trams were constructed, but these cars were never fully assembled. All of them were left to decay in the factory yard.


[ Back ]

Photographs by Yury Maller, 2006-2013

Additional photographs by: Kostj Kozlov, Aare Olander, Stefen Spengler, Thomas Fischer, Anton Kochurov, Yaroslav Luchenetskiy,
Dmitriy Aksenov, Sergey Maksimov, Volodya Tsarenko, Vladimir Tsokur, Trekhgranka, MAXMASTER, tavalex2007

© 2002 Author: Yury Maller - Usage of material found herein for public display is possible with authors' permission only.